April 27, 2007
Five Flaws of the Monkey Brain in the Modern World
1. Separating ourselves from the animals, then separating ourselves from each other.
2. Needing hierarchy, a pecking order of alpha males all the way up to the Old Guy With a Beard in the Sky.
3. Worshiping violence.
4. Clinging to dogma despite obvious empirical evidence to the contrary; trusting our intuition over our reason.
5. Exploiting the young for financial and personal short-term gain.
April 21, 2007
10 Things I Know To Be True
1. That no one, including myself, has privileged positions of power, knowledge, or insight.
2. That my senses and faculties of reason are the only avenues through which knowledge is gained.
3. That I am, at a fundamental level, an animal.
4. That I am completely responsible for my actions.
5. That my freedom is limited only by any harm the exercise of it may cause to others.
6. That morality is the Golden Rule and ethics means using no one as a means to an end.
7. That the meaning and purpose of life is to give life meaning and purpose.
8.That I am a citizen of the world, with only chance determining my race, gender, nationality, family, education, and economic status.
9. That my responsibility lies to future generations, not past traditions.
10. That I can only be an authentic human being when I endeavor to live my life as an example of what I believe.
"Whoso would be a man must be a nonconformist." --Emerson